23.3.08

Nicaragua DAY 5

Another beautiful day in Masachapa! We started this morning with breakfast and a devotion. We eat every meal less than 100 yds from the Pacific Ocean! In the morning I was assigned to triage. Basically, my job was to ask for the chief complaint, take pulses, and blood pressure. I don't think I've ever worked so hard and fast for 4 hours. We have to work people through as quickly as possible so that they can see a doctor. I did get some good practice with a manual blood pressure cuff! One little boy even gave me a kiss goodbye! It was priceless!

I only had time to pray with one patient but he was so appreciative! We were able to give him a Bible too. He was my age and had recommitted his life to Christ. He also was an avid soccer player!

At lunch two boys and their father serenaded us! They used to perform secular music in bars but after they became Christians they decided to sing only Christian music. Unfortunately, their business plummeted. We were able to take up an offering. One of the boys even threw in a rap! They have such conviction and passion. They rode the bus with us back to the hotel and performed the whole way!
In the afternoon I worked with Debbie again in pediatrics. We had a great time! I heard my first heart murmur! And I got to go over the bracelet with almost all the kids. Nicaraguan children are adorable. They have such joy. Sadly we had one patient who probably has a form of muscular dystrophy. He had such a lighthearted spirit. We played and chatted while we waited for the x-ray and results (to rule out hip displasia). At the end of the day I watched Jack, our surgeon, remove a lipoma. He had an assistant already so I tried to keep the young girl calm. We talked about school, her family, and pets. She was so brave! After clinic we walked back to the basketball court in town for church. A Nicaraguan pastor and PA student, Lauren, came with me to invite Elbes and Jessica to come. They said they would! It was dark so I couldn't see if they made it. I hope they did. Our team helped lead the service. Yuneng gave a great message and a few people did a skit. Afterwards we played with the kids. We got back to the hotel about 9 and ate dinner. I have to admit I'm beginning to like the rice :)

No comments: