19.3.08

Nicaragua DAY 2

This morning we woke up for continental breakfast and a small worship service. Our hotel was certainly a stark contrast to the dump. I had the most delicious cantaloupe! Eve would be jealous. Our pastor shared verses from Isaiah focusing on the necessity of waiting on the Lord. Although we may think we know our purpose for being in Nicaragua, we should be waiting on God to reveal that to us.

We boarded the bus and drove two hours to the Pacific Coast. Our hotel is right on the water! We ate lunch and drove to the clinic site. First we organized reading glasses and planned distribution. Then we listened to a discussion on common ailments. We also packaged meds into individual bags for the pharmacy. After set up, we walked to a church service a block away. The community had set up lawn chairs on a basketball court for us. We sang songs together in English and Spanish.
After a very long day, we rode back to the hotel and ate dinner. Now I am falling into bed. I forgot how exhausting the heat can be. I'm excited about tomorrow but also a little anxious. I hope I will actually be able to help. I'm not sure where I'll be assigned-either optometry, triage, medicine or surgery. I'll know soon :)

I'm rooming with my classmates, Lilika and Julie. This hotel is not quite as nice (the outside is deceiving) but we're not roughing it by any means. The air conditioner works and we have a toilet! Sadly the shower only has cold water :(
And last but not least, there is a pre-med student from Baylor on the trip! He's a junior in Phi Chi with Alison Rutledge's little brother. We talked about favorite restaurants, sno-cones, and Baylor traditions. What a small world!
........scratch that.......no water...........

No comments: