I am beginning to believe empathy is hard to embody unless you have truly experienced a patient’s adventure in the medical system. Nothing compares to the feeling of helplessness, vulnerability and insecurity. On Friday night I spent 10 hours in the local ER. I had delayed going for treatment for hours. I went through the differential in my head. I hypothesized tests and treatments. I couldn’t think of anything unique the ER could do for me. Finally the pain was too substantial and a friend drove me to the hospital.
First lesson: never write “abdominal pain” as your chief complaint. This is too vague and NOT treated as emergent.
I was one of the last patients to be called and that was with connections on the inside. When I finally made it to my corner with a curtain, I could immediately tell my physician was not impressed. I actually suspected the first morphine injection to be a saline injection to test me. It was only after several more doses of morphine and residual pain that the physician began to take me seriously.
Second lesson: when a patient asks for more morphine, seriously consider giving them more morphine. It’s not as strong as you think.
Throughout my ten hours in the ER, the physician NEVER discussed a plan with me. I did not know what he was thinking or what he was testing. I was lying in a cold ER in a thin gown. I was in pain, and I was confused. I can only imagine how my patients must feel.
Third lesson: explain in as much detail as possible your plan of action. Do not draw blood without explaining why. Do not use multiple US probes in various places without explaining yourself. A patient’s body should be treated as a temple. Do not violate that temple without at least addressing them.
After several hours, still writhing in pain, I was wheeled to CT. My technician was kind and comforting. He brought me a warm blanket and explained each step to me. We actually had a decent conversation. The test went by quickly and he brought me back to the ER. After another 4 mg of morphine I finally started to doze. As soon as I fell asleep, my ER physician woke me up abruptly and started telling me his assessment and that I would be sent home. I could hardly follow him, and I actually UNDERSTAND medical terminology. I was trying to keep my eyes wide open and hear what he said. In the end, I heard………possibly early appendicitis….you may need to come back….take these pain pills……could be a colonic spasm……maybe gastroenteritis…..ok bye. He quickly rushed back out of the room. Now, I know he is busy. There were several people in the ER. But I just needed five minutes to understand. I’m still not sure exactly what we accomplished in the ER. I’m glad I went but only because I can’t imagine how much pan I would have been in without 12 mg of morphine.
Final Lesson: Do not rudely awaken patients and give them a two minute summary of their problem. If you do, come back once they’ve had a chance to digest and answer questions. Do not assume they understand even if they are familiar with the medical field.
Although ultimately it was a horrid experience, I am glad that I have a new found appreciation for what my patients will experience themselves. I hope that I will be able to maintain empathy even when I am busy and overwhelmed.
7.9.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Katherine!! I'm so sorry you are sick, I had no idea! Are you in Jacksonville right now?
That sounds horrible! We joke around at work about not going to ER unless you are bleeding to death or can't breathe. It seems like such a big waste of time and money. At least they could give you some pain meds though. I hope the pain doesn't come back.
I can't believe your u/s tech didn't say anything to you! Even though we can't give a diagnosis, I always at least explain to the pt that I'm going to do the TV and how we do it with almost all ultrasounds b/c the pictures are so much more detailed and superior to the others. I can't imagine just going along and not explaining anything!
I'm so sorry you were in so much pain! That sounds horrible! So they never figured out what it was? Is it still bothering you?
At least you took what you could and learned from it! Hope you are feeling better!!
I'm glad you found the silver lining in the whole experience and will use it to be a better doctor! I hope you feel better :)
Feeling so much better now! Thanks friends! We never figured out what it was but just praying it never happens again! Thank you for your concern! MISS YOU GUYS!!!!
Post a Comment