First week of outpatient pediatrics is DONE! I must admit, I am very glad. I do not think clinic will be my calling in life. We have to herd patients through as quickly as possible just to keep up. If we don't go quickly we won't be able to see everyone. This is VERY unsettling for me. I like to be thorough, and I like to have more time to have a conversation with my patients. I've also realized that unfortunately our society is still divided. Many of the lower socioeconomic status families, particularly African Amercian, are very distrustful of me. Since I'm only a student, I understand. Truthfully, how can I TRULY relate to their situation? I live a life of privilege and opportunity. I don’t know what it means to run out of money before I buy the groceries or to be unable to buy over-the-counter Tylenol for my children when they have a fever. But I am doing my best to remain open and love these families the best I can.
Outside of clinic, it’s been WONDERFUL to be back in Gainesville. I have been able to catch up with friends and get back to an exercise routine. We celebrated Laura’s birthday last weekend (pictures above), and tonight we’re going to a Sublime cover show. Kristen and I went shopping today for new outfits. I’ll have to post pictures later. This afternoon we also watched Body of Lies---great movie. Definitely recommend it. I started playing water polo again but it looks like I’ll have to quit for good unfortunately. I keep reinjuring my hand and can’t afford to risk my future career as a surgeon. It breaks my heart
Enjoy the photos! More to come soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment